Each month I will be in the classroom teaching a lesson on various social and emotional skills to help students become happy productive adults. Below are the topics that I will address each month and the ideas presented for each:
(subject to change based on needs of the individual classroom climate)
August- Counselor Introduction
- I know who the counselor is.
- I know where the counselor's room is.
- I know how to ask my teacher to see the counselor.
- I know the three things that the counselor must tell to keep me safe.
September- Community and Relationships
- I know what my role in my school community is.
- I know how to become a member of my classroom community.
- I know how to be a friend to my peers.
- I know how to have positive relationships within my classroom and school
October- Conflict Resolution/Problem Solving
- I know how to solve problems with my peers.
- I know how to tell someone I disagree with respect.
- I know how to express my feelings using “I statements”.
- I know how to compromise with others when we disagree on something.
- I know how to enjoy what I have in my life.
- I know that I should take care of my belongings.
- I know how to appreciate the people in my life.
- I know and can list the many things I am grateful for.
- I know how to put myself in someone else’s shoes.
- I know how to recognize someone else’s feelings.
- I know when to offer my help to someone.
- I know how to share the feelings of others.
January- Learner Mindset
- I know how to be a life-long learner.
- I know that I can try new things.
- I know that I will learn from my mistakes.
- I know how to focus on my own results and not compare myself to my peers.
February- Flipping My Lid
- I know the three main parts of the brain
- I know what each of those parts are responsible for.
- I know how to recognize when I flip my own lid.
- I know that I can bring my wise owl (PFC) back in charge with calming strategies.
March- Coping Skills
- I know that there are many ways to calm down or cope with a problem
- I know how to use at least 10 calm down strategies on my own.
- I know three coping strategies that work for me.
- I know how to articulate to a teacher what my coping strategy is.
April- College and Career Awareness
- I know the importance of 1,2,4 or more.
- I know what I do in Elementary School will affect my future.
- I know the relationship between college and career.
- I know that there are many careers and possibilities available to me.
May- Child Abuse Prevention (taught by TCHD)
- I know that everyone has a right to his/her body.
- I know how to describe appropriate/inappropriate behaviors for all types of abuse.
- I know the three Safety Rules for protecting myself.
- I can name 3 people I can tell if someone is hurting me and I need help.